I try my best to buy lots of vegetable at the start of the week – but if I haven’t planned my meals and shopped accordingly, I sometimes have a variety left in the bottom of the fridge.
There are lots of ‘traditional’ Spanish tortilla recipes but if you just want a quick way to use up vegetables and create a healthy cheap meal – this recipe is for you.
You must have eggs – probably at least 3-4
You must have potatoes
Onions and garlic are ideal but not necessary
Any vegetables about to hit their use by date – capsicum, tomato, zucchini, eggplant, broccoli are all, good. Chop finely
You could also add meat – like ham, bacon, sausage or chicken
Salt and pepper to taste
You can extend the egg mixture a little bit with milk (I even use soy milk)
- Par boil your potatoes – so they are still hard but this will help them cook faster in the pan.
- Spray a non-stick fry pan with oil. If you have onion and garlic cook until the onion is transparent
- Sauté any meat you have chosen to use, as well as the chopped vegetables in the same pan and then put this aside for a moment
- Slice the potatoes and layer on the bottom of the pan
- Distribute the sautéed onion, garlic, vegetable mix on top of the potato, season wit salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the eggs and milk together with a fork and then pour on top of the vegetables
- Keep the pan on low heat as the eggs start to cook.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese and place the fry pan under to grill for 5 minutes or as long as it needs for the egg to cook and the cheese to go brown
Voila! Your ‘any-leftover’ tortilla is ready to cut and serve.
Are you starting a new fitness programme? Worried you will make the wrong choices when it comes to food? Sign up for a free recipe book sample!